Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Friday 28 September 2018

Certificate, Module 5, Chapter 7: Tactile Contrasts. Day 29

I've got a particularly busy day in store tomorrow and some of my favourite programmes are on television in the evening, so I know it's not likely that I'll be able to post, so thought I'd do it a bit early.

I'm not sure if I've done enough samples for Chapters 5 and 6, but I feel the need for a change and a new chapter, so thought I'd just get going with Chapter 7.  I made two small parts for the sampler.

5.7.1  

In the first sample (5.7.1 above) I stacked six squares of polycotton from a charity shop old sheet on top of a square of calico and stitched parallel lines of stitching diagonally, using the presser foot as a guide.  I then cut through between the rows of stitching, down to the base layer.  The different colour of the calico made it easy to know where to stop cutting.  I then distressed the surface with a brush.  This is low, soft and fluffy to the touch.

5.7.2
Sample 5.7.2 consists of torn strips of the same white polycotton tied in knots and laid diagonally on a square of white polycotton.  I didn't have time to stitch them down but will do so another day.  What it has in common with 5.7.1 is that it is fairly soft.  The contrast is that it is higher and bumpy to the touch.

Working a small amount every day makes it simpler for me to make a series of small squares and then join them together for the sampler at the end.  I like the idea of using the same fabric for all the samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment