Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Thursday 6 September 2018

Certificate Module 5, Chapter 5 Quilting, Padding and Stuffing, Part 6

Today, I tackled cord quilting.  In this two parallel lines of stitching are done, holding two layers of fabric together.  After stitching a blunt needle is used to thread  cord or wool through the channels thus formed.

5.5.17  Cord Quilting

It is simple to do and effective and I was pleased with this simple design .

However, the picture that inspired me was 5.5.18 below and what interested me most were the little knobbly bits on the small branches hanging down from the tree.

5.5.18
Once I had converted to greyscale (we were asked to avoid colour in this module) and homed in on the most interesting area, 5.5.19 below was the result.

5.5.19

The back of 5.5.17 was how I interpreted these knobbly bits.  In cord quilting, if a sharp bend is to be negotiated then the needle is brought out of the channel at the back of the work and then re-inserted leaving a small loop.  This makes sure that the shape of the work is not distorted and enables the turn to be negotiated.  (See 5.5.20 below.)

5.5.20 Illustration from Good Housekeeping Complete Step-by-Step Encyclopaedia of Needlecraft 

I used the technique on the back of 5.5.17 above (which was really the main side)  to represent the knobbly bits on the branches.

5.5.21 The completed sample
I have really enjoyed this form of quilting and I think I'll try some more ideas tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment