Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Monday 17 September 2018

Certificate Module 5 Chapter 6: Tucks, Pleats and Gathers, Day 17

Today I had fun with making yoyos, otherwise known as Suffolk Puffs.  I love these!  Circles of fabric are gathered around the circumference, pulled up tight and then flattened.  They can be joined at their edges to make an open cloth, or, as in this case, applied to a ground fabric.

5.6.6  Suffolk Puffs

This was doubly enjoyable for me as it brought back some lovely childhood memories.  I had a much-loved maiden aunt with whom my sister and I would often stay.  The bed in the spare room was huge, high and blissfully soft with a feather mattress and a honey-coloured bedspread made of silky Suffolk Puffs joined together and showing a contrasting cover underneath the spaces.  Auntie Dodie would light a fire in the grate and I would drift blissfully off to sleep with the flickering fire casting pictures on the wall.  I had often thought that I might some day make a similar bedspread myself, but in view of how long it took to do those 5 little samples, I think I've changed my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment