Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Sunday 2 September 2018

Certificate Module 5, Chapter 5 continued.

So the second day of my challenge to myself to post something (however small) every day during September.

Still on the quilting, another way it was suggested we could vary the quilting was to use unconventional wadding and this I found quite fun.

5.5.7   uncoventional wadding
In the sample on the left, above, I used lightweight calico for the base, see through polyester organza for the top and four ladies mantle leaves for the wadding.  The transparency of the top layer meant that I could see the veins in the leaves and stitched along them with back stitch.  In the sample on the right I used the same backing and top fabric as the sample on the left, but used saved scraps of thread left over from various fringing experiments.  Here I used thick thread and stem stitch to stitch around a simple shape.

5.5.8  more unconventional wadding
In 5.5.8 above, I used fine cotton for the backing and the same polyester organza for the top fabric.  For the wadding I used a monoprint on tissue paper which I had made in chapter 1 but which had been unsatisfactory.  I scrunched it up and laid it between the top and bottom fabrics.  The print, which I'd done in black ink, showed up well and so I used black thread to stitch around the black shapes with back stitch.

5.5.9  yet more unconventional wadding
In 5.5.9 above, I used unconventional fabric for base, top and wadding.  It came from a plastic carrier bag which was translucent with black printing on it.  I used the translucent part for the top and base fabrics and cut up the black printing into random strips for the wadding.  I stitched random intersecting straight lines with black, white and silver thread.

The next type of quilting I sampled was shaped quilting which involves placing the shapes to be used as padding onto the backing fabric, laying the top fabric over this and stitching around the top and bottom layer without stitching through the shapes.

5.5.10  first shaped quilting sample
I used cardboard for the padding in 5.5.10 above, cut to the negative shapes between the branches of a tree.  I used calico for the base fabric and silk for the top,stitching around in running stitch with a fine thread.

5.5.11 second shaped quilting sample
I again used a transparent polyester organza for my second shaped quilting sample, trapping small semi-precious stones between the layers.

I have more ideas which I'd like to try for this technique but haven't had time yet to complete them all.  I have now posted all the backlog that I've been working on in free moments up till now.  I will carry on stitching and try to post one sample each day from now until the end of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment