Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Monday 10 September 2018

Certificate Module 5, Chapter 5-6

I think I'm all done with quilting.  It's not that I think I have covered the topic thoroughly, or that my samples are particularly good (frankly I find them all boring), but that I have totally run out of ideas and any affection for the topic.  Quilting has become a great trial to me and I dread every new sample.  I feel that any more quilting I force myself to do will have no joy and no merit.

So, a fresh start and on to Chapter 6.  I haven't had time to do any work today, since I have been on a tour around Aberdeenshire for the North East Open Studios.  We have seen lots of inspiring work, and will see more tomorrow, including some textile work.

The chapter I am about to start concerns tucks, pleat and gathers, in other words, fabric manipulation.  I usually always have trouble with boredom with the seemingly endless samples we have to do for the course.  (Part of my frustration lies in the fact that I have done them all before, more than twenty years ago for the old City and Guilds, Part 1.)  However, at the end of each module, I can see that the final outcome would not have been possible but for these samples so I have to keep going. 

I thought perhaps that if I started a new chapter inspired and eager, it might see me through the work and diligence needed.  I have four books which all have sections involving some sort of fabric manipulation and I thought that if I started by reading them and trying out some ideas that excite me, that this would be a good way of entering this chapter with some amount of enthusiasm.

Tomorrow I have a drawing workshop in the morning and am taking a non-driving friend NEOS-touring in the afternoon so there won't be time to do any work.  However, Wednesday should be a free day at home and so I should be able to get going then.

Here are the four books that will hopefully inspire me:





No comments:

Post a Comment