Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Thursday 20 September 2018

Certificate, Module 5, Chapter 6: Tucks, Pleats and Gathers, Day 20

No time consuming smocking today - that will have to wait till another time.  I had a very busy day today with boring, but necessary domestic admin tasks filling the morning, a quick bite of lunch before off to a regular walking group in the afternoon.  So something quick and easy for my sample today.  I had a look at Jean Littlejohn's book "Fabrics for Embroidery" and found a technique that seemed quick and easy, but interesting.  It consisted of gathering and stuffing little circles on a stretchy fabric.  It was very effective, and I could see that Jean's suggestion of combining them with other textures would be even more so.  (All the same, there was a disquieting feeling that there was something a bit rude-looking about the resulting shapes - or was that just my mind?)

3.6.9  Stuffed and gathered circles on jersey fabric

I found two more ideas that were interesting, both of which involved manipulating damp fabric and leaving it to dry and so I prepared the samples and left them to dry.  In 3.6.10, below the top sample shows pleated damp fabric wrapped around a stick and tied at regular intervals.  This will take possibly a few days to dry.  The lower sample is some hessian fabric dampened and then moulded into ridges and left to dry.  I'm not sure whether or not that particular fabric has the necessary dressing to enable it to retain the ridges thus formed, but I'll find out fairly soon.  If it doesn't work then I can try saturating the fabric in PVA or cellulose paste.

5.6.10 Dampened, manipulated fabrics laid on a plastic bag to dry

No comments:

Post a Comment