Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Wednesday 19 September 2018

Certificate Module 5, Chapter 6: Tucks, Pleats and Gathers, Day 19

I'm in love with smocking!  It is time consuming, even tedious at times and it is so hard to get the stitches even, particularly on the silk fabric I chose to use (I don't know why except I liked the feel of it).  All the same I loved it.  Unpicking the original gathering stitches at the end and discovering the elastic qualities of the resulting fabric was like opening your presents at Christmas.  I can see some mistakes in my stitching and it could be neater, but I am pleased with the results nevertheless and keen to practise more so I can do better.

5.6.8  Completed smocking sample
I particularly enjoyed the chevron honeycomb stitch (see close-up below).  It was quite hard to get the hang of it, but then suddenly it clicked and there was a very pleasing rhythm to the stitch.

5.6.8 (a)  Chevron Honeycomb Stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment