Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Wednesday 12 September 2018

Certificate Module 5 Chapter 6: Getting started

Day 12 of my self-imposed challenge to post every day of September.  

Actually, just 12 days in and I have already missed a day.  But I have decided not to worry about that or let my perfectionism distress me.  The reason I challenged myself to post every day for a month was to try to make myself work and post on a more regular basis and that has worked despite a missing day.

I had a lovely day yesterday, at a drawing workshop in the morning and, in the afternoon, looking at wonderful and inspiring artwork at several locations in our local Open Studios week.  Home just in time to cook dinner and collapse on the sofa to watch "Bake Off".  With the concentration in the morning and lots of driving in the afternoon, I was too tired to tackle anything in the evening.  However today was a quiet day at home, cool and breezy but sunny and I spent a happy afternoon in the summerhouse stitching my first sample for Chapter 6.

I've been referring to Colette Wolff's wonderful and comprehensive book "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" and found it very helpful and informative as well as exciting and inspiring.  I started with a rectangle of fabric which I gathered along all sides until each was half the length it had originally been.  I then marked the target shape on another piece of fabric and stitched the gathered sample down.  This has produced an interesting result already, with a wrinkled puff in the middle.  I used lightweight cotton calico.

5.6.1  All-sides-gathered rectangle applied to a foundation fabric


  Tomorrow I shall take this sample further and follow the instructions for "furrowing" where random tacking  "creates a controlled relief of meandering, swirling grooves and crests from the fabric that balloons between all-sides-gathered edges appliqued to a foundation stay."  (The Art of Manipulating Fabric, page 9)


No comments:

Post a Comment