Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Saturday 8 September 2018

Certificate, Module 5, Chapter 5, Day 8

Well, I managed two samples today, despite spending a good part of the day visiting a couple of studios in our local Open Studios week.

They are both corded quilting, not inspired by any of my photographs of texture in nature, but just exploring the technique.

5.5.22

5.5.23

In 5.5.22 and 5.5.23 (the front and back of one sample) I laid some polyester organza on top of some lightweight calico and stitched channels.  I then threaded a slightly darker wool through the channels and then pulled it up to gather the fabric slightly.  While the colour contrast adds a certain something, I feel the other (cotton) side has gathered in more interesting ways and the textures are interesting, undistracted by the over-straight lines of the wool on the right side.

The technique was pretty quick to work and so I had time today to try another sample.

5.5.24

5.5.25
Again, 5.5.24 and 5.5.25 are front and back of the same sample.  I tried the technique described in the student notes where only one layer of cloth is needed and the stitching creates a channel to trap the cord or wool under the fabric.  Since it was a nice afternoon I was tempted to sit out in our summerhouse to sew this so that meant I was restricted to hand sewing.  Since I had never tried this technique before, I used three different yarns for the stuffing: from top to bottom, chunky knitting wool in a tan colour, fluffy, soft fur-fabric knitting yarn and finally two strands of a fairly thick cotton knitting yarn.  I wanted to see if there was any difference in the look or feel of the cords on the right side.  There was no discernable difference, but I loved the effect of the herringbone stitches on the wrong side as well as the subtle colour differences.  I feel I'd like to explore this technique further stitching around a variety of possible fillings for the channels.  It's been a long day and my brain won't come up with the brilliant ideas for this that I think should be possible, but I shall cook dinner, watch Strictly and see if some clever inspiration will strike for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment