Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Tuesday 18 September 2018

Certificate Module 5 Chapter 6 Tucks, Pleats and Gathers, Day 18

5.6.7

This little, part-finished smocking sample is all I have to show for half a day's work.  Not having access to a pleating machine in my far-flung corner of the UK, if I wanted to try smocking (which I did) and if I was reluctant to spend over £200 on a machine that I would hardly ever use (which I was), the only solution was to do the initial gathering by hand.  I followed the instructions step by step, from measuring out a grid on the wrong side of the fabric, putting pencil dots at all the grid intersections, through seemingly endless stitching to finally gathering up with several attempts to get the gathers to sit evenly.

At last I arrived at the stage where, my book told me, "You have now completed the preparation."  Soul destroying.  I tried a few smocking stitches, with as much unpicking as stitching (It's awfully hard to get it even!) before I finally ran out of time and overdue domestic chores were beckoning (not least some bread rising).  However I am not daunted and I will get it finished.  I want to try the conventional approach to smocking first so that I know it well before I try experimenting with it.  I think it will be fun so worth all the effort.  (I hope!)  I have new respect now for the lovely smocked dresses that Auntie Jeannie made for my sister and me when we were bairns!

No comments:

Post a Comment