Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Sketchbook day 26 Carbon Copies

I chalked all over the page and then covered up the chalk with multi-coloured wax crayons.  I did this on a separate sheet of paper, ordinary printer paper, because the thinner paper prints better than the thick cartridge paper of the sketchbook.  I then laid it, wax side down on top of my sketchbook page and drew the chair.  The chalk helped the wax to release from the paper.

I found this technique great fun.  I can remember using it with children when I was a teacher.  The fact that you can't rub out makes it necessary to draw boldly and that is good for me, since my drawings can tend to be a bit "tight".

In this first drawing I was just getting my eye in and getting to know the chair.  Some of the lines are a bit wonky but I quite like the effect.  I love the shadowy ghost chair on the paper on the left.

I tried it again, to see if I could improve my drawing.


I think I have got the perspective a bit better in this one, but I started drawing too big and so there wasn't enough space to fit the complete chair in.  I quite like it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment