Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Saturday 13 August 2011

Days 12 - 16 Colour


I decided on a lime green as my colour scheme and collected together some objects in that colour.

A busy green worktable all ready to start.



My final selection of objects making a still life

First of all I drew all the objects in outline and coloured in the background.  The paper I had used as a background had bits in it, so I first drew the bits with a yellow wax crayon, then painted over with Koh-I-Noor water based dyes.  I then added the shadows cast by the objects.

The next step was to take one of the objects and depict it in watercolour paints.


Next, I photocopied the coloured background and coloured all the objects using watercolour paint.


Pencil was the next medium to try.  This time I looked at the ceramic pear which had feathers attached to the top.

I went ahead and coloured one of the copies with pencil.  I used watercolour pencils so I could use a little water on a brush to blend the colours in some areas.

The third medium was pen.  I didn't think I would like this, but I was pleasantly surprised at the results.  I used a mixture of felt pens, ballpoint pens and gel pens, just whatever I could find.  I think I'll try drawing with these some more in the future.

Lastly, I used collage.  I really enjoyed this.  I used torn pieces of white paper to depict the highlights on the ceramic pear.  They turned out too bright so I cut a piece of sheer fabric (a cheap polyester in an olive green - very transparent) just to knock back the brightness without changing the tone of the rest.  The shadow on the right was newspaper which had been accidentally coloured by being behind fabric I'd painted with procion dyes. 

Duty calls.  I've got to put my "carer and housekeeper" hat on now.  I'm looking forward to trying the collage treatment on the whole still life tomorrow.

Sunday 14th August

Here is the still life done in collage.


I'm really quite pleased with how this has turned out.  I find I love doing collage.  One of my mental notes to myself is to carry on drawing every day.  Another is to try a lot more collage since I feel I've found a medium that really resonates with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment