Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Sunday 4 April 2021

 Certificate Module 5, chapter 10: Stitch to Translate

Well it's a year and a half since I last posted any work on my Distant Stitch Certificate Post.  My husband's vascular dementia diagnosis and then Covid somehow put me in a dark place where I couldn't seem to concentrate on anything creative.  

However, lockdown gave me space and solitude to  accept and adjust to my altered circumstances.  An undemanding but very supportive Facebook art group gave me encouragement, support and online friendship as well as the "kick in the creatives" to start doing creative things, art, poetry and stitching.  I found it helped me and gave me a time to myself, to concentrate solely on what I was creating.  Eventually, I started to feel the first stirrings of the excitement I used to find in textile work and realised I was ready to pick up once more my Distant Stitch work.

In chapter 10, we were asked to make some rubbings from our earlier textural work and then to translate these rubbings into stitch.  This was a fun way to pick up the module.  

I had done just a few samples when my husband took ill with an infection which led to rigor, an NHS 24 phone call in the middle of the night and a long recovery time.  He was left quite weak and wobbly and needed help to wash and dress which I couldn't manage alone.  This meant lots of time contacting Social Services to set up a care programme for him.  This was very successful, Social Services being very helpful, quick to respond and giving the help we both needed.

This has meant I haven't got much more than a few samples but I thought I'd just post what I've done so far just to get started.  So here they are so far, photographed with the  rubbings that inspired them.

5.10.1

5.10.2

5.10.3

5.10.4  (only part done - experimenting with different ways of expressing the rubbing)


No comments:

Post a Comment