Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Friday 31 August 2012

Certificate Module 2 Chapter 10: the rest of it

As usual, Sian got right to the heart of my difficulties with this chapter and realised (as I was too close to see) that I was thinking too much and trying to make everything "neat" and "accurate" instead of working intuitively.  I had missed the whole point of the chapter, which was achieving exciting and rich texture through cutting and seaming.  Once I had "permission" not to be so exact and cerebral, the chapter suddenly became fun - a gift rather than a chore. 

I started with my fabric sample and started chopping it some more, not thinking too much but just acting on instinct.  I was able to take it quite a few more stages before it refused to feed through the machine any more.
Since I hadn't managed to incorporate all the ideas Sian suggested, I decided to start again with another fabric sample so that I could try some more ideas.
Finally, I had a go at "The Challenge".

No comments:

Post a Comment