Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Saturday 7 October 2017

Certificate Module 5 Chapter 2

It's taken a long time of lots of little short bursts of work to get this one chapter done.  With my husband's health giving increasing cause for concern, not to mention a visitor from the USA staying for two weeks and a couple of short trips away, time seems to have been at a premium.  However, here at last is chapter 2.





5.2.1  Folding various papers


5.2.2   More paper folding experiments

5.2.3   Scrunching various papers to fit in a particular space
1. tracing paper
2. waxed paper
3. vintage (1950s) copy paper
4. printer paper
5. cartridge paper
6.  paper kitchen towel
7.  a commercial craft paper (translucent and stiff)
8.  tissue paper
9. 250 gsm mixed media paper


5.2.4  playing around with tissue paper


5.2.5  gathering and folding tissue paper by hand


5.2.6  gathering tissue paper by machine stitching

I enjoyed this chapter more than I had expected to.  The exercises could be fitted into short spaces of time that I could snatch during the day or evening and were a fun and welcome break from caring for my much loved spouse, domestic chores and taking care of our guest.  Early morning and late at night were my favourite times to do this.

I've been doing a lot more walking in order to try to improve my fitness (and spreading waistline!) and I keep seeing texture in the landscape everywhere I go.  I couldn't resist adding a few more photos to Chapter 1 as more inspiration.

5.1.supplemental 1
a piece of birch bark I found lying on the ground



5.1.supplemental 2  the reverse of s1 above

5.1.supplemental 3  a tiny but exquisite beech nut husk


5.1.supplemental 4  beautiful patterns in a stone wall


Another day, when I've more time, I'll convert them to greyscale and play about with Photoshop filters but now it's 7 pm and I'd better think about starting to cook dinner!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Catherine, finding time can be so difficult but I love your tissue paper samples. It is amazing how this course makes you open your eyes and like you I get excited about pattern and designs in nature.

    ReplyDelete