Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Wednesday 21 June 2017

Certificate Module 4: Health and Safety Rules observed

The main opportunity for accidents in my studio is the lack of space and congestion and muddle that can result when I am on a roll and working flat out, not pausing to tidy things away.  I have to be careful that this doesn't cause:

  • spillage of potentially damaging paints, chemicals etc
  • tripping over  boxes, bags and trailing electrical wires
  • accidental damage (to objects or self!) from hot or sharp tools caused by putting things on top of them
In order to avoid this I have tried hard to:
  • tidy as I go along (a place for everything and everything in its place
  • be careful of where I use electrical things to avoid trailing wires
  • make sure I have plenty of power points in my studio to avoid using multi-adaptors where possible
  • use a heat proof mat when using hot tools
  • letting heat tools cool completely before storing them away
  • keeping sharp objects in a box while they are not in use
  • taking frequent breaks so that tiredness doesn't cause carelessness
For this particular module, other safety actions I've observed are:
  • Using a self-healing cutting mat while punching holes in acetate
  • Keeping bleach in a sealed container, upright in a secure place
  • Using a mask and working in a well ventilated area while using bleach
  • In bookbinding, always keeping the awl covered when not in use
  • wearing a mask when mixing up powdered pigments
  • making sure that mouse and keyboard are in a good position when working on computer and taking frequent breaks to stretch arms and shoulders and rest eyes by looking out at the garden
  • when machine embroidering, always using a darning foot to guard the needle and avoid sewing through fingers!  (I've learned this some time ago through bitter experience!  Not something I'd repeat again.)
  • This is one that I didn't observe yesterday but will in future and that is not to work on something absorbing while in the garden, scantily clad in midgie weather (hot and humid).  Scottish midgies are awful and I'm still scratching! I was so intent on what I was doing that I didn't notice until it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment