It's been a while since I posted on my blog, so long that I forgot that, although I'd done the work for this chapter, I hadn't yet photographed it or posted it on my blog, thinking I would wait until I had done the next chapter too. By the time I realised my mistake, I'd already started stitching into some of the pieces and so here I'll post only the pieces that haven't been stitched and the rest can be seen when I post Chapters 8 and 9.
This chapter was messy, but fun. Having tidied out my filing cabinet, I had an abundant supply of shredded paper as a base for my paper pulp making. I made two basins of pulp, one brown, coloured with walnut ink, and one blue, coloured with Dylon cold water dye.
For my first piece, I tried an idea which had been in my head for a while. I had an old frame, about 35 cm square. I bound it with string and simply spooned on pulp from both basins. Some dripped through to the back but some remained on the surface.
4.7.1 One side of the large bound frame piece
4.7.2 the other side of the large bound frame piece
4.7.3 a close-up view of the layers
I was (and am) quite excited by this piece. I've given some thought as to how it could be developed through stitching, but haven't yet come to any conclusion. I'll wait until just the right idea occurs to me. It would be easier to work it if I cut it off the frame, but I like how the different layers have formed. Hmmm ...
I also tried making a grid from wire and dipping it in the pulp.
4.7.4 Wire grid dipped in pulp - first side
4.7.5 Wire grid dipped in pulp - second side
4.7.6 A variety of different fabric grids dipped in paper pulp
Clockwise from top left: nylon fabric with a grid of holes burned with a soldering iron, soft metallic mesh, vegetable net, wire grid, plastic canvas, nylon fabric with holes burned, evenweave fabric with some threads withdrawn, vegetable net, blade for a file.