Saturday, 18 July 2015

Certificate Module 3 Chapter 10 ... getting there ...

I had a busy day today, doing the work I'd planned on my belt decoration.  Yesterday I had coloured some fabric for the belt, mixing colours to match the colour I'd used digitally earlier.  I was quite pleased with the results.  The big, heart in the mouth job was taking apart the belt decoration I'd made and cutting it down to a shape with oval ends.  To get a more precise, neater result than I'd had with the rectangle, I used compass, ruler and protractor to draw a square with a semi-circle at each end.  I transferred this onto two pieces of pelmet vilene onto which I ironed bondaweb.  I cut out the shapes and then ironed one onto the belt decoration and one onto a new piece of dyed fabric for the backing.

3.10 Belt 4

I turned in the raw edges and tacked them with contrasting thread (easy to see to remove!) to keep the raw edges under control.  I then slip stitched the two pieces together by hand.

3.10 Belt 5

3.10 Belt 6 - completed belt decoration with brooches attached

I am much more pleased with the result than the first belt decoration, firstly because it is much neater and well finished and secondly because I feel the shape now echoes nicely the shape of the printed and stitched shapes.

Finally, I printed the fabric which I had coloured yesterday for the belt.  I wanted a subtle, barely there print and I think it has worked fairly well.  Once it's dry I'll fold it into shape and see how it looks with the decoration.

3.10 Belt 7 - printed fabric for the belt


Time for a cuppa now so off to put the kettle on.


1 comment: