When I looked back at my sketchbook, I found that I wasn't particularly inspired by any of my images, except the ammonite. By chance, just before starting on this chapter, I visited a local jewellery/crystal shop, fittingly called "Treasures". I found my treasure in the shape of a beautiful little pair of ammonites. I couldn't resist buying them, justifying the expense by telling myself I needed them for my work!
|3.9.1 The ammonites|
- Over thousands of years, the original organic matter had been replaced by stone. This made me think of myths and stories about people being turned to stone, or pillars of salt, or gold. It gave me the idea of replacing one element by another.
- The dullness of the outside gave no hint as to how rich and interesting the inside was. It could be interesting to try to use this somehow in a design.
- The shop assistant told me that the actual living creature lived just inside the entrance of the shell. the remaining chambers remained empty, the ammonite being able to fill them with water or air, to adjust its buoyancy. It made me think of adaptability, changing according to circumstances, another interesting concept to play with.
- The outside of the shell reminded me of gathered fabric, drawn up more at one side and formed into a spiral. Mmm, another idea to play with.
- The shell provided a safe, protected place for the creature. I find this idea very interesting too.
- flood the print with diluted paint. The thicker paint used in the print, once dry, will resist the diluted paint with interesting results.
- emphasise one part of the design
- cut it up and re-assemble it
|3.9.2 Cutting up and collaging elements|
|3.9.4 A rather faint image overprinted and then enhanced by working into it with coloured pencils|
|3.9.5 Overprinting again - I don't think it has rescued this print|
|3.9.6 Flooding helped this rather wishy washy print, but not enough so I cut it up and re-assembled it as shown below|
|3.9.7 cutting up and re-assembling|
|3.9.8 I had enough pieces left over to make another collage, arranging the pieces in a partial spiral|
|3.9.9 The ammonite photo, converted to greyscale, posterised and distressed by erasing portions|
|3.9.10 The ammonite photo with colour added, arrange in a half-drop pattern on a coloured background. It looks like little yellow birds against a blue sky.|
|3.9.11 The original photo coloured in various ways, with the background erased to clear, flipped horizontally and vertically and applied in layers to make a busy pattern. I'm surprised how much like flowers this looks.|
|3.9.12 Following a link in a magazine, I tried free photo editing by Pixlr. It has a fascinating filter "kaleidoscope" which made a very interesting image. I'll play with it some more when I've time.|
|3.9.13 print block|
|3.9.14 Negative image with print block used to remove paint from Gelli plate|
|3.9.21 (Sorry, numbers out of order, but haven't time to re-caption all of them.)|
|3.9.17 The print blocks, rather interesting in their own right, so I didn't clean off the paint.|
|3.9.18 A positive print (on top of a faint print which didn't really work but makes an interesting faint background)|
|3.9.19 A print of the negative spaces. (The background is the paper left over from some painted Bondaweb.)|
|3.9.20 Yet another attempt to make this dull print interesting. Maybe I need to cut it up and re-assemble it!|
|3.9.22 Circular compositions|
|3.9.23 Coloured in|
|3.9.24 Ammonite-shaped compositions - they look like little paisley motifs.|
|3.9.25 "Paisley Patterns" coloured in.|