Work done for City and Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Embroidery with Distant Stitch.

Sunday, 2 February 2014

Certificate Module 3 Chapter 6 Tassels

 

 

This has been another most enjoyable chapter – more like playing than working.  I might return to it and do some more tassels, but I want to get into the habit of working and posting more regularly, rather than my bad habit of working a huge amount of hours and then doing nothing for weeks (or even months!!).  So, here’s what I’ve done this week:

 

3.6.h1  Two simple tassels.  The one on the left has a bead threaded onto the end of each stand of thread and secured by a knot.

 

3.6.h2 Strips of dyed cotton muslin

 

3.6.h3  Experimenting with different materials: this is strips of bubble wrap.

 

3.6.h4 Dyed lace and twill tape

 

3.6.h5 I used three strands of differently coloured yarns and stuffed the head before tying the neck.  I used a long chenille thread to tie the threads at the head and then knotted it with a repeated half hitch to give a spiral.

 

3.6.h6  I had fun with this one!  I made the threads longer to have more possibilities.  First I tied the head close to the fold, then I stuffed the next bit and tied again, tying a third time close to the second tie.  I then divided the skirt into 6 pieces and tied them before plaiting each one for a bit and then tying again (each plait separately).  I really liked this one and the colours worked well.

 

3.6.h7  I tried Sian’s suggestion to plait a cord first then fold it, tie it and unplait the skirt.  However, instead of just folding I thought I’d try a turk’s head knot for the head of the tassel.  My brain got lost in trying to fathom out where all the threads should go, but, although it isn’t a turk’s head knot, it is a fairly decorative knot.  It works quite well, although would have been better with the proper knot!

 

3.6.m1  Two machine stitched tassels.  I didn’t really enjoy this – I don’t like using the machine and much prefer stitching and making by hand.  However, I could see that you could make some interesting textures in the head of the tassel by judicious choice of stitch and thread and so I think more experimentation here would be good.  The thread I chose for the one on the right was two colours of a very springy viscose cord that had been wound around a small piece of card, so that it wanted to spring up in curls.  I liked that effect.

 

If I manage to stick to my resolution, I’ll have more to post next Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Just about to post my tassels too! These are lovely Catherine and so effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tassels Catherine, especially the bubble wrap one! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tassels Catherine. I'll have to get a move on, you'll be ahead of me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one on the right in your final pic made me smile - it looks slightly mad! I should really say, "It has movement"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last tassel you made Catherine. It will be very difficult not to get influenced by your beautiful work

    ReplyDelete