The cotton fabric needed something to add stiffness and body to it. This could be done with an iron-on stiffening, but I thought first I'd try making a sandwich with two layers of cotton with some felt in between. I thought of wadding to start with, but I didn't want a quilted puffed up effect, just a bit of body added to the piece. I decided to use free-machine embroidery in a toning thread to stitch along the spaces between the printed lines in each ammonite. This was the idea I'd had in my head from the first. I stitched one ammonite in this way.
|3.9.AS 1 (The stitched ammonite is bottom right.)|
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that this gave exactly the effect I had in mind, without adding too much to the busy-ness of the print. It also gave a very slight 3-D effect without making it too puffy and quilted.
|3.9.AS 2 a close up|
Better still, it gave just the right stiffness to the fabric - enough to give it some body but leave it soft enough to roll easily. (I'll have to be careful that the inside ammonites don't add too much to the stiffness.)
|3.9.SA 3 the little sample rolled up|