Functions I want in my studio:
- space for art, fabric painting, dyeing
- space for hand and machine sewing as well as storage for fabric, thread, Bondaweb and other “special effect” products
- space for writing letters, paying bills and other paperwork
- computer, printer and associated storage for CDs, printer ink and paper etc.
- a comfortable sanctuary to read and listen to music
- occasional use as a second spare bedroom
- storage for books
- storage for knitting yarns and patterns
After a lot of thought here is the plan I came up with:
I contacted my joiner and showed him my plans. The next step was to empty the room. The contents filled every free space in every other room in the house! Finally however, it was done:
Today, the joiner finished installing all the shelves:
We’ve had a quick trip into town to get paint and so tomorrow I’ll start painting it. I was tempted to be lazy and get the painter to do the job, but he is tied up for the next couple of weeks with a really big job and I don’t have the patience to wait that long. The painter recommended using emulsion paint as a primer for the bare mdf before painting it. A useful tip. I chose Crown Milk White for both walls and paintwork, a gentler, warmer white than Brilliant White, especially since the room is north facing and rather dark. Can’t wait for tomorrow to see it all nice and bright and white.
Finally, here is a picture of the sofa bed I'm intending to buy. Reviews are very good, getting 4 and a half stars out of a possible 5 with 27 reviews. It's also simple, stylish and reasonably priced.
Luckily this has come at a time when my current Distant Stitch work is hand stitched spirals, so my studio can (temporarily) be in a small plastic box that I can carry around. Here’s what I’ve done so far.
3.4.h1 detail a
3.4.h1 detail b
3.4.h1 detail c
3.4.h1 detail d
3.4.h2 detail a
3.4.h2 detail b
3.4.h2 detail c
I am really enjoying the hand stitching (and revisiting Mary Thomas dictionary of stitches) – an oasis of calm while chaos has been happening in the house around me. The upheaval will be worth it though.