I received as a birthday present a wonderful book, Collage, Stitch, Print by Val Holmes (Batsford 2012, ISBN 978 1 84994 014 6) which inspired me to give the technique a try. It would take many months to fully experiment with all the ideas in the book, but I thought the relief in some of my collages for Chapter 2 might be deep enough to make a collagraph plate. I sealed the surface with pva and rolled acrylic paint on with a brayer. I mixed various combinations of my chosen colour scheme and produced a series of prints as shown below.
|3.2.c11 the plate after the prints had been made|
Here is work that I have done since coming home from Summer School. I began on Chapter 3 of Module 3 by colouring some fabrics. I used fabric paints (Dye-na-Flow) and acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium. This gave good results, much quicker and easier than using dye. I intend to re-visit this exercise in the future, since I had only a limited range of fabrics at home and because I'd like to try again some of the shibori techniques from Module 2. However, my fingers are itching to get stitching so I went for speedy results. Here are my coloured fabrics, hanging on the line to dry and then dried, ironed and folded.
To add to them, I had some shibori fabrics left over from Module 2 as well as dyed and printed fabrics from other projects. I also bought some dyed fabric while in Malvern on holiday from a lovely shop called Stitch 45.
Someone mentioned at Summer School that if you mix fabric paint with aloe vera gel then it does not spread on fabric and you get a clean line. I tried it with Dye-na-Flow on a sheer, metallic polyester with quite pleasing results.
I am becoming hooked on monoprinting. I love it. I had fun monoprinting some of my fabrics.
|3.3.m1 on a left over piece of printed fabric|
|3.3.m2 on acrylic felt|
|3.3.m3 on acrylic felt|
|3.3.m4 on polyester sheer metallic fabric|
|3.3.m5 on polyester sheer|
|3.3.m6 on dyed cheesecloth|
|3.3.m7 on cotton muslin|
I also had some fabrics I had printed at Summer School with Sue Dove.
|3.3.m8 on previously shibori dyed and block printed cotton|
|3.3.m9 on a digital print on cotton that didn't work out. It does now I think.|
|3.3.m10 on cotton|
|3.3.m11 on cotton|
|3.3.m12 on cotton|