I started with white paint on black fabric. I mixed the acrylic paint with fabric medium and rolled it onto a piece of glass. I used various things to make marks on the paint surface, based on my drawings of animal markings, and then laid a piece of fabric on the glass and rolled it with a clean roller. I also tried using threads and cut paper shapes as a resist. This worked quite well, but I found it was better to press the fabric down with my fingers rather than a roller, to get into all the crevices.
The next samples were done with black paint on white fabric. Mostly I used the same technique as with the white on black samples. In Images 2.6.9 to 2.6.10, 2.6.14 and 2.6.15, I rolled an even layer of black acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium onto the glass. I then carefully and lightly laid a piece of white fabric on top and used the end of a paintbrush to draw patterns onto the fabric. The paint came through the weave of the fabric as I did so, so that I could see what I had drawn. I particularly liked the effect of this technique. It produced an interesting quality of line, making an organic design with high contrast.
Image 2.6.13 was a happy accident. I decided to stop when I had used up all the paint I had mixed and it was beginning to dry on the glass in the warm room. I dipped a paintbrush in water and started to clean up the glass when I noticed it made an interesting design. I laid a piece of fabric on it and rolled with a clean roller. Image 2.6.16 was another happy accident, when I rolled the inky roller onto a piece of fabric to start cleaning the roller up. Loose threads from the edges of the fabric pieces had gathered on the roller, making a very interesting design.
I had another try with some shibori techniques, trying to get a darker colour on them, and giving me a chance to try to develop deliberately some effects I had achieved accidentally. I used the same Dylon Velvet Black dye and mixed it in the same concentration and the same way that I had used before. However, this time, it turned out more of an indigo blue than black. I think, maybe, the water I used to mix the dye powder was a bit cooler than last time, but I don't know if that was a factor. I like it, but am not sure if this will be permissible, since we are meant to use only black and white. I really love some of the effects you can get with this technique. Before I did any dyeing I thought it was too labour intensive to be worth it, but, having seen the results, all the hours spent stitching and knotting is well worth it.