Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Sunday 31 July 2011

Summer Sketchbook Project

Events have kind of caught up with me the last couple of weeks.  My husband was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery.  He is making a good recovery and has been transferred from the big city hospital 30 odd miles away to the local cottage hospital in our village.   Visiting is much easier, so I now have some time to myself and the summer sketchbook project seemed like a bit of light relief and an affirmation that there is life outside hospital visits.

Day 1
I enjoyed colouring the pages of the sketchbook (and drinking the tea!) and had the idea to empty the used teabags, dry the paper and tear it up to glue down on the pages of the sketchbook.
 I also sprinkled over the wet contents of the teabags and shook them off when dry.  They gave a nice concentrated speckling. 
I tore up some bus tickets to and from the hospital and glued them down too.
  This bit was fun and not too much to think about.

Days 2 and 3
I have washed so many pairs of pyjamas over the last two weeks that a clothes peg seemed an appropriate thing to draw.

08 drawing pen



08 drawing pen



08 drawing pen


08 drawing pen

I found a shrivelled leaf in the garden and thought it would be interesting to draw.  I've been drinking so much tea lately and tea is made from a dried leaf, so it seemed to fit the tea theme.  I have always found tea a great comfort and so I am drawing my source of comfort and relief from stress!

Conte graphite 2B pencil

Conte graphite 2B pencil


I liked the colour of the brown pen.  It looked well with the tea-coloured paper


The chalk pencil gave a softer line.  I feel I haven't made the best use of this but will try in future drawings.

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you, what a time. I am glad that your husband is recovering well!

    ReplyDelete