Module 5 "Touching Texture"

Module 5: "Touching Texture"

A study based on textured surfaces in landscape.

Friday 29 April 2011

Module 2 Chapter 2: Tonal Columns in Stitchery

Tonal Column in Canvaswork


2.2.1
To start with I found it difficult to do the shading for this.  I tried to be clever and start in the middle with a mid-tone and thought I could get lighter to one end and darker to the other.  However, I eventually found it better to start at the lighter end and get gradually darker.  I found that if I got the basic shading right with thicker thread, I could fine tune it by adding stitches in a fine yarn.





Blackwork Tonal Columns

It is 20 years since I last did any blackwork and I fell in love with it all over again.  I spent lots of time happily doodling patterns on squared paper.  I found Jack Robinson's little booklet "Blackwork Embroidery: My Methods and Techniques" to be very useful.




2.2.2 paper design for blackwork


2.2.3Tonal blackwork column based on paper design
In 2.2.2, the paper design and 2.2.3, the stitched column, the shading is achieved by adding elements to the pattern to make it darker.





2.2.4

In sample 2.2.4, the shading is achieved by working the motifs closer together and even overlapping them.





2.2.5

In sample 2.2.5, the shading is achieved by using progressively thicker thread to work the design.

2.2.6

In sample 2.2.6, the shading is achieved by altering the scale of the pattern.  As the motif gets smaller, it looks darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment